What’s the key to creating a contract writing web site that get’s observed?
You recognize…a perfect consumer lands in your author web site. And also you’ve acquired all the suitable stuff there to get that particular person to name, e mail, or join to speak about freelance work.
As a contract author, an awesome web site can:
- Generate freelance writing leads
- Develop your community
- Showcase your portfolio
- Aid you stand out as the author in your area of interest
…whilst you sleep.
Chances are high fairly good you already know an excellent web site helps professional freelance writers stand out.
However what does your author web site appear like?
Possibly you retain placing it off or keep away from giving it an improve since you’re not a graphic designer, net developer or tech genius.
When you aren’t positive the place to start out or find out how to enhance your on-line presence, you’re in luck.
Listed here are 5 necessities to get your freelance writing web site up and working to face out, transfer up, and earn extra
1. Establish your freelance writing area of interest
Once you resolve to throw up a author web site, one of many greatest errors new freelancers make is making an attempt to serve each kind of consumer in each business.
FYI…It doesn’t work very effectively. Why? As a result of individuals typically don’t seek for generic options to particular issues.
Prospects are going to seek for a contract author with particular expertise of their area of interest or business like this:
- [Niche] freelance author
- finance freelance author
- healthcare freelance author
- health freelance author
- engineering freelance author
- know-how freelance author
- start-up freelance author
- SaaS freelance author
When you’re able to construct your author web site (otherwise you acquired began with the generic method), now is an efficient time to outline your area of interest or niches (give attention to only a couple).
When you determine your area of interest, it makes constructing your author web site and advertising and marketing your self as a contract author rather a lot simpler.
Right here’s an instance: Freelance author Mandy Ellis stands out to potential purchasers by area of interest AND location (however she will be able to nonetheless write for purchasers exterior Austin and in several niches).
Tip: Outline your freelance writing niches and ultimate purchasers. And check out different top-ranking freelancer websites in your area of interest to get concepts.
After you have some concepts in place in your write web site, then what?
2. Select a website title + webhosting in your freelance web site
With a view to get a contract writing web site up and working, you first must have a area title and webhosting.
It’s what you name your author web site.
If YourName.com is obtainable, I’d advocate going with that. You will discover out if it’s out there right here, or test along with your webhosting firm (extra on that in a only a bit).
If YourName.com isn’t out there, there’s a number of different naming conventions you need to use to decide on your area title, like this:
Tip: Bear in mind, there are already tens of millions of internet sites on-line, so the area title you need in your author web site won’t be out there. Maintain making an attempt till you discover one that you simply like.
It’s the service supplier with all of the software program and tech instruments wanted in your author web site to be seen on the Web.
Tip: Not all webhosting firms are created equal.
Strive discovering a webhosting supplier with…
- All of the instruments you could construct an awesome author web site (templates, weblog, touchdown pages, website positioning, plug-ins, drag-and-drop modifying, portfolio options, and so forth)
- Glorious customer support
With the area title and net host in place, now you can transfer on.
3. Construct your freelance web site with WordPress
What software program do you have to use to construct your author web site?
There are a number of totally different CMS (content material administration methods) you need to use to construct and design your author web site, like:
My software program advice to construct your author web site…WordPress.
There’s a few vital causes WordPress will get my stamp of approval for constructing your freelance author web site:
- It’s very simple to make use of, particularly for novices.
- All types of templates, plug-ins, tutorials and paperwork can be found to assist construct your author web site with WordPress.
- When you need assistance with the technical half of organising your write web site, WordPress is essentially the most widely-used software program for net design. So that you received’t have an issue discovering an reasonably priced designer or tech-savvy particular person that will help you.
- Running a blog. Each WordPress theme (extra on this in only a sec) has a built-in weblog function able to roll that you need to use to create reader-friendly content material. Running a blog will be an effective way to get site visitors to your web site and entice potential freelance writing purchasers in your area of interest.
What’s a WordPress theme?
It’s mainly a template you need to use to create your author web site. And there’s hundreds of them.
Listed here are a few themes and plugins that work effectively to simply arrange your freelance web site:
Tip: It doesn’t must take days, weeks, or years to create your author web site. You’ll be able to construct a practical author web site in just some hours. So put aside a block of time someday and get it carried out. Then maintain it up to date.
4. Create content material in your freelance web site
You’ve acquired your area title, webhosting, and primary design components discovered. Now it’s time to create content material in your author web site.
That is the place lots of freelance writers get caught.
Right here’s the factor. Your author web site doesn’t must be good. It’s going to vary. A primary author web site is healthier than no web site.
Imperfect motion is all the time higher than no motion.
What ought to your author web site embrace?
Begin along with your homepage. Write the content material, embrace an expert photograph of your self, and publish it. Bear in mind, you’ll be able to add extra pages later.
Frequent pages in your freelance web site could embrace:
That is the place you make first impressions, outline your area of interest, ship your elevator speech, and get prospects all for working with you.
Take a look at the house web page for freelance B2B and SaaS copywriter Michal Eisikowitz
It’s not simply all enterprise or a resume-style record of your work expertise…Boring!
Purchasers prefer to know you’re an actual particular person with likes, pursuits, hobbies, and different accomplishments. Your About web page is a superb place to get prospects to know, like and belief you.
Showcase your character in your About web page like freelancer Kayla Hollatz (try these enjoyable info!).
Showcase your finest work. Prospects all the time ask for examples, proper?
Make it simple for them to see what you’ve carried out. (Don’t overlook to replace your portfolio whenever you full a brand new challenge.)
Right here’s how freelance author Amy Hardison White arrange her portfolio web page.
What kind of writing providers do you supply?
Your area of interest + the kind of writing providers you supply (weblog posts, case research, white paper writing, Fb adverts, and so forth.) is one other technique to stand out.
Right here’s how freelance author Kristi Hines does it.
Operating a distinct segment weblog in your author web site like freelancer Jamie Johnson will be an effective way to construct authority in your area of interest and entice potential freelance purchasers. She even wrote about it: How you can Get Freelance Writing Leads From Your Private Weblog
Your contact data could embrace your e mail tackle, telephone quantity, contact kind, social media channels, and so forth.
Make it simple for potential freelance purchasers to contact you want Laura MacPherson.
Present don’t inform. Together with testimonials in your author web site helps construct belief and authority when prospects try your web site.
Right here’s how freelancer Gary Schenkel does it.
Different pages to think about
You may additionally need to embrace an inventory of purchasers you’ve labored with, continuously requested questions, or gross sales pages to buy books or programs.
5. Leverage on-line advertising and marketing to drive site visitors to your author web site
You’ve acquired your freelance author web site arrange. Now what?
Stable advertising and marketing methods will make it easier to land extra freelance purchasers and get further site visitors to your web site.
Listed here are some advertising and marketing methods to get extra purchasers to your author web site:
- Share hyperlinks to your web site on social media. Begin with LinkedIn. It’s the place you’re more than likely to seek out freelance writing purchasers. Share a hyperlink to your web site, latest weblog publish, or testimonial revealed in your web site. Utilizing different social media networks like Twitter, Fb, and even Instagram, may help drive site visitors to your web site.
- Optimize your web site for website positioning (SEO). Correct website positioning for a author web site can’t be overstated. If in case you have your website positioning setup correctly, then your web site goes to get listed and ranked sooner and better. This can be a nice technique to get observed organically in search outcomes and an ongoing technique to market your author web site.
- Construct an e-mail record: One other nice technique to market your author web site is to construct an e mail record. With an inventory of subscribers, you’ll be able to promote your freelance writing providers, share helpful data, present worth, and keep related to show prospects into purchasers.
Construct a author web site to draw extra freelance purchasers
Constructing a contract writing web site to draw purchasers doesn’t must be a troublesome job. If in case you have the suitable instruments and information, you’ll be able to actually get it carried out in a day for little or no cash.
It’s a vital a part of advertising and marketing your self as a contract author to get discovered on-line, join with prospects, and make a dwelling writing.